“Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.” ~Dave Barry
You want to save money and edit your work yourself? Many writers do. I personally want you to know that editing is the single largest factor that separates the books published by a large publisher and a self publisher. It is the “tell”, it is the glaring thing that discredits self-publishing. So, if you have not combed over your work with a fine tooth comb, then you should because that is the one strongest area that could make or break your success. Now, I am not saying that it must be grammar perfection at in its highest form but I do mean to suggest that tons of little errors make your work weak.
What exactly do you do Ms. Rosehips?
Well, since you asked… I publish your edited book to paperback or to eBook form. I put it on Amazon, or Barnes&Noble, or other markets. I ask one price for each market we publish your work to. I market you, and like every publisher on the planet, I expect you to also market yourself which is why I tell you how when you have your work published with Alpha Sutra Press. I also blog about marketing here.
You say you can just do-it-yourself, the publishing of your work? Well, I am very pleased for you! I also offer an anthology book where you can buy marketing with the price of a short story or poem and share your bio and URL to that book you published yourself. After all, there can never be too much marketing.
The very important thing you should know about E-Publishing services is that they are not exactly “publishers”. You’re thinking: uh, what? Publishing wears different outfits these days, so try to think of e-publishing as working with book makers who distribute to retailers.
The changes to the publishing dynamics can be a very good thing because while e-publishers can bring your book to life and available to the public, e-publishers will not require you to wait on their time lines, approvals, revisions. Nor will they assign you a large bill for marketing and distribution services which they cannot guarantee outcomes for.
So what DO e-publishers do for you? The offerings vary but a few of the consistent services offered are these:
- E-publishers allow you to keep the rights to your book: they don’t own your soul or your book decisions which are pricing, cover, revisions, etc.
- They provide you with an ISBN number. Great right? It is registered, official and search-able.
- Your edited work is formatted into a book, eBook or other. You start off with a stack of pages that you filled and then suddenly you have a book.
- Distribution of your e-published book to a retailer takes place for little or no cost. Your work is made available for purchase on-line.
- The bonus of having Alpha Sutra Press doing the self-publishing or e-publishing for you, you don’t need to have much technical expertise.
Please follow our blog where you can read articles about: